Hip pain can be debilitating, especially when you are unable to get a good night’s sleep. In order to recover from hip pain, you need to focus on recovery, and part of the recovery process is sleep.
Here we will take a look at what you should be looking for when selecting a mattress topper for hip pain. Our best mattress topper for hip pain guide will also offer tips on how to get a good night’s sleep, along with the best mattress toppers for hip pain we could find available on the market today.
Best Mattress Toppers for Hip Pain Comparison Chart
Best Mattress Toppers for Hip Pain
1. LINENSPA 2 Inch Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper
The LINENSPA 2 Inch Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper is a very comfortable and affordable way to make an old mattress seem new again. Renowned for being infused with temperature-regulating gel beads that capture and dissipate heat to help prevent overheating, this topper comes in 2 inches or 3-inch thicknesses.
It is available in twin up to California King. Alleviate pressure points and align the spine as the bodyweight will be evenly distributed.
● Pressure-relieving memory foam
● Infused with cooling gel
● 3-year warranty
● 2 or 3-inch profiles
● CertiPUR US certified
● 100% Polyurethane Memory Foam with gel beads
2. LUCID 2 Inch 5 Zone Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Best known for it’s cooling gel, the LUCID 2 Inch 5 Zone Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper has a profile of 2-inches. To maximize comfort on the body while sleeping, there are five target zones. Raised points help to alleviate any pressure on the body’s contact points. The memory foam is soft and responsive.
● 5-Zoned comfort
● Conforming support
● Cooling gel-infused
● Lavender scent used for relaxation
3. Zinus 1.5 Inch Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress Topper
With three different profiles to pick from, the Zinus 1.5 Inch Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress Topper can help to rejuvenate your old mattress within a matter of minutes. Best known for its Green tea extract and castor natural seed oil which naturally eliminates odor-causing bacteria, this topper has a worry-free five-year limited warranty. Its memory foam is CertiPUR-US certified for durability and performance.
● Cool and cozy support
● Naturally eliminates odor-causing bacteria
● Enhances comfort of your existing mattress
● Can fit under any deep pocket fitted sheets
4. Mattress Topper, 2 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper Twin with CertiPUR-US Certified By Polar Sleep
Comfort is the primary purpose of this Mattress Topper, 2 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper Twin with CertiPUR-US Certified By Polar Sleep. Known for ensuring perfect alignment of the spine and relieving of the pressure points, this topper has a unique ventilated design. The gel infusion allows for a breathable foam mattress topper that regulates temperature fluctuations when sleeping.
This topper is great for side sleepers as it will allow the shoulders and hips to sink into the mattress topper. Those that like sleeping on their stomachs can find relief as the thick foam will provide adequate support. And individuals that prefer to sleep on their back will find that all key pressure points are supported and that the spine is kept in alignment.
● Ventilated design
● Easy setup
● Relieves pressure points
● High-quality materials
5. LUCID 2-Inch Ventilated Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Available in a 2-inch or 3-inch profile, the LUCID 2-Inch Ventilated Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper. The airy and ultra-plush memory foam has a ventilated design which improves airflow for a more comfortable sleep climate. Infused with gel, it is designed to capture heat and control the temperature. This topper is antimicrobial so you will not have to worry about mold, bacteria, or allergens.
● 3-year warranty
● Reduces pressure points in the body
● Ventilated design
The Best Mattress Toppers for Hip Pain Buyers Guide
The following guide has been established to help you find the best mattress topper for hip pain.
What to Look for When Looking for the Best Mattress Topper for Hip Pain?
When looking for a mattress topper for hip pain, take the following considerations into play:
A firm mattress topper can help those support a neutral spine, but a soft mattress topper can help with pressure relief. Here it will be a personal preference on whatever feels the best to you. You can often decide by how firm your mattress is right now. If you have a firm mattress, you may want a softer mattress topper. If your mattress is soft, you may decide upon a harder mattress topper.
● Topper thickness
Topper thickness is a personal preference as well. However, you can read more about this below as to what thickness may be ideal for you.
● Sleep temperature
Your sleep quality will depend upon sleep temperature. Many do not realize this. Cooling technology will keep you cool and comfortable all night long.
There are many materials that mattress toppers can be made from. You can read more about them below.
● CertiPUR certified
CertiPUR certified means the mattress topper has been individually examined for the safety of the products used, along with the physical performance, and the environmental stewardship. Careful construction guarantees no prohibited phthalates, no ozone depleters, no CFCs, no mercury, no lead or no heavy metals, no formaldehyde, no PBDEs, and low emission (VOCs) for indoor air quality.
Materials Mattress Toppers Can Be Made From
There are many different materials that mattress toppers can be made. These can include any of the following.
● Memory foam
A memory foam mattress topper is a very common option for many people. This material will snuggle your body contours, which can really make it feel great. However, one should note that
there is an off-gassing odor that comes from this material. It will need to be aired out before using the mattress topper, especially if you are sensitive to scents like these.
● Pillow Top
The pillow top offers excellent support for those that are looking for this. Those that have other issues besides hip trouble will find it especially comforting.
Latex can be bought in synthetic, blended, or natural with a firm or soft support. This “green” material is perfect for those side sleepers as it is very comforting. It is very cooling and does not cause heat retention. Latex often comes in soft, firm, or medium firm.
This comfortable material makes you feel like you are sleeping on a cloud. It is comforting when your hip pain is at an all-time high.
● Polyurethane foam
Known best as Polyfoam, this light material is great for those that suffer from hip pain. It is very plush and comfortable, however, polyfoam is less resilient and durable than both memory foam or latex.
The Thickness of a Mattress Topper
There are many thicknesses of mattress toppers on the market. Each one has a purpose, with most of them not exceeding the 5-inch mark.
● A 1.5 to 2-inch mattress topper will be good for those that are petite. If your mattress is new, you may also consider adding this thickness to add a bit of plushness.
● A 3-inch topper can be used for many. This is a great thickness to support the spine and can help to even out the mattress.
● A 4-inch mattress topper is best for beds that are in bad shape and are sagging badly. They are also ideal for those sleepers that are on the heavy side.
Tips on How to Get a Good Night’s Sleep
There are many things that you can do to have good sleep hygiene. Consider trying some of these out to help you get your best night of sleep ever.
1. Sleep on a bed that has a comfortable mattress and pillow. If you can not afford a new mattress, a mattress topper is a great place to start. Do your best to make the room attractive, but use it only for sleep. It has been proven that rooms that are not cluttered are the best for sleeping in.
2. Take time each night to wind down before bed. Drink a glass of warm milk or have a cup of green tea before bedtime. Take a hot bubble bath or shower. Rub your body down with a magnesium lotion or a lavender oil lotion. You may also consider putting a lavender oil blend on your pulse points. Aromatherapy is a great way to calm your body
and mind down after a long hard day. You may even consider purchasing an aromatherapy machine to add some essential oils to while you sleep.
3. Wear comfortable pajamas to bed. Do not wear the clothes that you wore all day long. These clothes have the day’s energy in them and will not promote a good night’s sleep.
4. Do not keep the room too hot. Most people sleep better when the room is too cool versus too hot.
5. Consider doing some gentle stretches prior to getting into bed each night to unwind.
6. Avoid heavy meals at nighttime. This can make it hard to sleep by causing indigestion.
7. If you have laid in bed for more than half an hour, get up and move to another room. Do a quiet activity, such as looking at a magazine, reading a book, or knitting. After half an hour, try to go back to bed.
8. Exercise daily. Even a half an hour walk each day can make a huge difference in how well one sleeps at night. If you can not stick to half an hour at a time, take three 10 minute walks.
9. Make sure your bedroom is as dark as possible. Turn off all lights, shut the blinds. If lights shine in, consider hanging up blackout curtains. Or wear an eye mask to keep light out.
10. Keep a sleep schedule. And stick to it. If you go to bed at 9 every weeknight, try to stick to that on the weekends. And get up at the same time on weekends as you do on weekdays.
Frequently Asked Questions
● What causes hip pain?
There are a few things that could potentially be causing a person’s hip pain. One of these is Sciatica. In this condition, a lot of pain could occur depending upon your sleeping position.
A second cause is arthritis. Swelling and redness will be present with hip pain. If you are not sleeping in the proper position, this will aggravate it.
Bursitis is the third cause of hip pain. Those that suffer from this have inflammation in the bursa. The discomfort is very sharp and begins to travel to surrounding areas.
Other things can cause hip pain too. How you sleep could cause hip pain to flare up. Those that sleep on their sides are the ones that tend to suffer the most.
Ladies that are pregnant or people that have a larger stomach may often have hip pain as pain can be caused all over the body.
● How should a person sleep in order to avoid hip pain when waking up?
By sleeping on the back, the weight of a person is evenly distributed. This may cause a person to wake up in less pain, with fewer aches.
● Are firm or soft toppers better for hip pain?
This is dependent on the type of mattress that you already have. If you have a firm mattress, you can easily get by with a soft topper. A soft topper may help reduce hip pain that you are feeling now with your existing mattress. If you have a soft mattress and have all the aches and pains when you get out of bed, you may wish to try out a firm topper.
We truly hoped you enjoyed reading our best mattress topper for hip pain review and buyer’s guide. As you can see from our best mattress topper for hip pain buyer’s guide, you can find a mattress topper that can help ease your hip pain without having to spend a fortune on a new mattress.
Find the mattress topper that is right for you and your body and as your body gets used to it, you will see that you can wake up with fewer aches and pains.